A. How To Apply Concealer And Foundation On Dark Skin
Dark-skinned women know how difficult it is to hide dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Learning the proper techniques for applying concealer and foundation on dark skin can easily hide common skin patches on dark skin.
The best way to apply concealer and foundation on dark skin is to first color dark spots and hyperpigmentation with a full orange concealer. This makes it easier for the foundation and concealer to hide the skin tags that are often associated with dark skin.
To give you the best advice, I contacted professional makeup artists and asked them to give me the best tips on the subject. The first professional makeup artist I contacted was Valeria Heredia, founder of Real Beauty School and author of the eBook Makeup Made Easy.
1. Steps to apply concealer and foundation on dark skin
a. Prepare your skin
Dark skin tends to be oily. If you have dark oily skin, apply a mattifying primer all over your face, then apply an oily skin day cream and eye cream to your eye area. If you have a combination to dry your skin, use a shiny moisturizer!
b. Right color
The second step is color correction. Dark skin tends to have deep dark spots and hyperpigmentation in certain areas such as the mouth and chin. Dark circles are also common. To cover everything well on dark skin, it is important to apply an orange concealer over the entire area. Apply only to areas where necessary (such as dark spots) and mix well with clean fingers or a makeup sponge.
c. Apply concealer
Use a makeup sponge to apply concealer to your eyes, around your mouth and to any other areas where you applied the orange concealer. Hit the concealer with a makeup sponge until it matches your skin perfectly. You can also apply concealer directly to your cupid’s bow, chin and forehead to make them stand out.
d. Warm your base
With clean hands, warm the primer with your fingers for a few seconds before applying it. This gives better results as it helps to melt and mix the basic ingredients for a perfect application on the skin.
e. Apply foundation
Take 2 to 5 small drops from the base and apply them directly to the face. Hit with a makeup sponge and then hit the concealer and color concealer.
f. Use setting powder
Use a banana powder instead of just a translucent white powder. This allows you to highlight certain areas with a more natural tone. Use a large, soft makeup brush to apply the banana powder under your eyes, forehead and chin. Let it sit for a few minutes and then use the same brush to spread it over your face and define the other areas.
g. Apply spray setting
Apply a fixing spray to help your makeup last longer.
2. How to choose the right concealer shade for dark skin
The correct shade of concealer should be one or two shades lighter than your skin tone and should match your skin tone. If you have neutral skin, choose a neutral concealer.
3. How to choose the right foundation for dark skin
- The correct base tone and formula are based on the skin tone, skin tone, skin type and desired coverage.
- As a makeup artist, I recommend finding a matte foundation with medium to full coverage and buildable coverage.
- The best thing you can do to adjust the base tone is to try the base tone between the neck and the chest (not the arms) after applying the concealer. The foundation should be the same skin tone as your skin and concealer.
4. Difference between skin tone and dark skin tone
Theresa Novicky, a licensed makeup artist from southern Maine, explains that skin tones should not be confused with skin tone.
- Skin tone – How dark or light your skin is depends on how much pigment you have on your skin.
- Undertone – the tone just below the skin surface that most women of color have warm tones
Cold, neutral undertones can also appear in black women. For example, dark skin tones with cool tones include celebrities like Lupita Nyong’o, Mindy Kaling and Octavia Spencer.
Celebrities with dark skin tones with neutral tones include Kerry Washington and Selena Gomez. It is also much easier to find the shade when you shop on a makeup line designed for women. I love Iman Cosmetics, Mented and The Lip Bar
B. How To Apply Concealer The Correct Way For Each Part Of The Face
Any makeup lover will agree that concealer is one of the most important products to achieve a uniform finish. After all, it helps to hide any skin problem and even makes your face look toned and perfect. Although most women have the best concealers that money can buy, very few of them know how to apply it and then the problem arises. Not knowing how to use a product can become ineffective and you will blame the product. Instead, how about learning to use it properly for your benefit?
In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide for applying concealer to any part of the face. Before proceeding, however, here are some tips and tricks that you should follow to achieve the most perfect look of all time
1. Do and don’t
a. To do
- Use concealer for strong dark circles
- Choose a shade that is lighter than the base
- Apply moisturizer before concealer
- Mix your foundation first, then apply concealer
- Use the same concealer all over your face
- Forget Concealer acts as a shadow primer
- Apply concealer before applying the primer
- Forget setting up powder concealer
2. How to apply concealer under the eyes
Dark circles are a common problem that most women struggle with. Now, thanks to the concealers, you can hide those panda eyes and look refreshed in minutes. But do you know how to apply concealer to hide dark circles? The following steps will help.
- Using the ring finger, apply a moisturizing eye cream and massage lightly until it is completely absorbed.
- Take a small amount of primer and smooth it over the eyelid and below the eye area.
- If you have strong dark circles, first apply an orange concealer and mix well.
- Now apply small points of concealer under the eyes, closer to the lashes, and don’t forget the inner corner of the eye.
- Gently apply the concealer with a brush or fingertip and apply it to the skin. Do not rub, as this will ruin your appearance.
3. How to apply concealer around the mouth
If the area around your mouth looks darker than the rest of your face, then you are not alone, it is a common problem and we know how frustrating it can be. But there is nothing that a small concealer cannot fix. All you need to know is how to apply the concealer effectively around the mouth.
- After applying the foundation, use a slightly lighter shade of concealer and pat the area around the lips.
- It is also a good idea to apply it close to the lips, as this will highlight the color of the lips.
- If your lipstick is fading earlier than you would like or getting stuck in the fine lines, apply some concealer to your lips before applying the lipstick to get smoother looking lips.
4. How to apply concealer around the eyebrows
Did you know that you can use concealer to get perfect shaped eyebrows? Yes it is true! If you haven’t discovered this little secret yet, follow the steps below to get your best eyebrows!
- First, fill in your eyebrows with your favorite eyebrow pencil or powder. After getting the shape you want, proceed to the next step.
- Use a liquid concealer and a flat-tipped brush to apply the concealer around the eyebrows. Apply the concealer directly under the eyebrow in small spots or in a smooth line.
- Spread the concealer towards the eyelids.
- You can also apply the concealer on your eyebrows to define the arc and add definition to your look.
5. How to apply concealer to hide pimples
Acne and pimples can appear out of nowhere and, most uncomfortably, just before an important event. Even if you don’t have pimples very often, learning to use concealer to hide your pimples is important, as it is a very useful trick to stick on your sleeve.
- First, clean your face and areas affected by pimples thoroughly before squeezing and moisturizing.
- Don’t forget to apply a primer. This gives the concealer a basis to adhere to. Without a primer, the concealer can sit on the spine and make it unattractive.
- If you are using your hands, clean them properly before applying the concealer on your spine. Apply a thin base coat on top. Take a damp sponge and smooth it until it is even and spray the area to fix the concealer in place.
6. How to apply concealer to hide dark spots
Dark spots and blemishes are a common skin problem. After all, most acne and pimples leave a scar that makes your skin look uneven and discolored. Concealers can help hide these areas. All you need to do is perform a few additional steps.
- Makeup can easily get stuck in fine lines and scars. Therefore, apply a primer to the skin first.
- Apply the primer, mix and check if the persistent stains are still visible and need to be hidden.
- Do not use the same concealer that you use in the eye area, as it would be too light for your skin tone. Choose one that is a shade lighter than the base.
- Apply concealer to the problem areas using the applicator or brush and mix well.
- Lock the makeup by applying all the powder.
7. Frequently asked questions about using concealer
a. What goes first, base or corrective?
This is an endless debate and most makeup artists have their own way of using these two products. We believe it depends on each area of the face. When hiding dark circles, use concealer first, then foundation foundation and vice versa on other areas of the face.
b. How do I prepare my skin before applying makeup?
Regardless of your skin type, if you want your makeup to look flawless, it’s important to cleanse, tone and moisturize your skin. Then apply a primer to perfectly prepare your skin.
c. Ways to use the concealer for an impact appearance face
Concealer is the most versatile beauty product a girl can have. From covering dark circles and pimples to brightening your face, a proven tube of concealer will do anything. Despite all its great benefits, many women do not know how to use this product properly or end up taking full advantage. But don’t worry, ladies, we’re here to help.
d. Hide acne and blemishes
As the concealer has a thicker consistency than the base, it can be used as a local treatment for acne and blemishes. All you need to do is apply a little concealer to the area or stain you want to hide and dry with your finger or a damp makeup sponge. Follow the primer and you’re good to go
e. As a basis
For days when makeup looks a little too much, applying a small amount of concealer to some areas of the face can help a lot. Just prepare the face, apply the concealer under the eyes, around the mouth and nose and on spots or blemishes, and you will have a super light foundation, but without flaws
f. As a highlighter
Using a concealer that is one or two shades lighter than the normal concealer can help highlight your face. Just apply this concealer where you would normally place highlighting markers (the highlights of your face and under your eyebrows) for instant skin shine
g. Hiding acne scars
Acne scars can sometimes be very difficult to hide completely. However, using a green concealer can help you cover these acne scars like a charm. First, apply a green concealer to the acne scars to even out the redness. Then, use your usual concealer to hide the green color and give your face a perfect and uniform finish.